Sunday, September 6, 2015

We're in Maine

Day 157
I enjoyed a relaxing zero day today. I was able to update my blog from the library, which makes the process much more enjoyable for me. I spent the afternoon reading a book and staying off my feet.


The Yellow Deli provided us with dinner again. They have been so generous. The kids asked me to sing again. Afterwards the children were organized and sang a song for the hikers. One boy accompanied them on guitar. Hearing the song brought tears to my eyes. I was surprised and impressed by their volume. One boy played the violin for me too. I really do hope I will have the opportunity to be a music teacher again someday!



Day 158
This morning was very hot and sweaty. It had been a while since sweat had dripped from my face. After lunch the skies opened and big, cold raindrops soaked us through in minutes. It was refreshing and short, but it left me with soggy feet and wet clothes for the remainder of the day.


The setting of the shelter tonight is beautiful. The view looks out over a mountain ridge and which is silhouetted by a pink and blue pastel sky. A pond is close by and I can hear the babbling of the water outlet.
1900 miles completed!



Day 159
I'm in Maine! It felt really good to cross the border into the final state. It also makes me really happy to be back home in Maine.

The top of Goose Mountain was windy with fast moving clouds almost close enough to touch. A family of seven passed us on the trail. That is quite amazing for a family to thru-hike with five kids.
Maine was creative with their wooden crossings



Day 160
I climbed my way through Mahoosuc Notch today. It started out fun, like a playground for adults with lots of rocks to climb over. By the end it was mostly just challenging. It rained a bit while we were there too, that added to the challenge and my desire to be done.
the boulders of Mahoosuc Notch
the arrows are helpful...
After the notch we climbed the Mahoosuc Arm. Lots of rock faces that were the trail. I pulled myself up one spot and lost my balance. I would have fallen down backwards had there not been a tree behind me. That saved me from some serious pain and injury.


Not a long day in miles but it took all day and I'm exhausted. I would like to come back someday and rehike this section without a pack. I think it would be fun with less weight.



Day 161
It was a beautiful day today! I was very aware that it was Saturday too because there were a lot of day hikers on the trail. One was kind enough to put beer in a cooler of their truck and tell Chameleon and I to each take one. How thoughtful of them.


The view from Baldpate Mountain was great. The White Mountains are getting farther and farther away and the mountains ahead of us look less intimidating.

I enjoyed some hiking on dirt today. It was so nice to have a stretch without rocks or pulling myself up or bracing myself to go down. I was quite sore the morning from Mahoosuc yesterday. Even my hands were sore.


Chameleon and I found a new way to amuse ourselves today. We randomly started talking like old ladies and making comments about the trail in the old days. It was very amusing and kept us laughing for at least mile until we had to concentrate on going down steep rocks once again.



Day 162
Today was the easiest day of hiking we have had in a long time. Lots of dirt in the trail and manageable slopes for the ups and downs. We hiked two miles per hour again! It felt great.


We resupplied in Andover at what were essentially convenience stores. The food selection wasn't great and it was pricey.  I have a feeling I will be really hungry by the next town. I may need a buffet.



Day 163
I saw Papa Al and Philco today! I haven't seen them since Pennsylvania. A man named All the Way was with them and requested that I sing for them. They each took their own video of "What a Wonderful World." It was great to see them again!


I must admit I'm grumpy today. I know a lot of it has to do with the poor quality food I had to buy for my resupply. I am happy the trail is easier than in the White Mountains but I also miss the views. Hopefully I'll sleep well and wake up feeling happier in the morning.
a hamburger bun, American cheese, hard taco shells, and a slim jim


Day 164
I was in a much better mood today. It was gray, foggy, and occasionally spitting rain this morning but I felt much better.


Late this afternoon we hiked by a pond and decided to go in. The weather was iffy so I didn't swim but I was at least able to wash off a layer of sweat and dirt. At the shelter we cooked dinner and other through hikers gave us hot dogs! I'm happy to be heading into town tomorrow to buy food at a grocery store.



Day 165
Chameleon and I are the only people in the shelter tonight! I am sure most hikers are spending the night in Rangeley but I am happy to be in the woods.

a privy for two with a cribbage board


Rangeley was a cute town in a beautiful area. Mountains surrounding a lake with trees everywhere. I loved it. I bought food for eight days and my pack looks ridiculous but neither of us were interested in another crappy resupply, so we stocked up.
poster in the laundry mat


Day 166
I thoroughly enjoyed the views from Saddleback Mountain. The wind was whipping by and dark clouds threatened to rain. I felt so alive and could have stayed so much longer. I have so many pictures of views I see, but I don't think any truly capture the way it feels to see the mountains and lakes.


Tonight I set up camp in an old road (as did a number of other hikers). The waterfall runs across the road and is soothing to listen to.


We have decided to try to make it to Monson by the third! I have to go home for the weekend because of an interview and a reunion. It would be great to make it to the beginning of the 100 mile wilderness. The end suddenly seems much closer!



Day 167
There were clear blue skies with crisp air this morning. Other than one steep, rocky down in the afternoon the hiking was lovely today. Not many views but it felt great to be outside enjoying myself.


We stopped earlier than we wanted because we didn't want to get stranded on the top of a mountain at dark. Better safe than sorry! The campsite had at least a dozen people which felt like a lot. People must be trying to finish up the trail.




Day 168
I have walked 2000 miles! Wahoo! That seems crazy and ridiculous.


Tonight I went to use the privy and had quite the surprise when I approached. There was Sugarloaf Mountain in the distance with lights all over it. I haven't seen light in the woods like that on the whole trip. It was very odd.



Day 169
This morning I was in the clouds on Bigelow Mountain. From Avery Peak the world looked like it was in black and white. The silhouettes of the mountains were gray on gray clouds with light occasionally shining through to the gray trees below. It was striking.


After rinsing off in Flagstaff Lake, Chameleon and I made dinner on the rocky beach as the sun was going down. That was our most beautiful dinner spot of the trail.

We kept hiking after dinner and used headlamps towards the very end. Hanging the bear bag was a nightmare. The rocks kept falling off, my aim was terrible, and it was the third tree that we finally managed to snag. It took almost an hour. I'll be happy when I don't have to hang my food in a tree at the end of every day. 




Day 170
The weather was perfect for hiking. There was a breeze most of the day, no humidity, and the sun was in and out of clouds. The forests looked so lush and green in the morning light.


After lunch we decided to try to make it to the Kennebec River in time to catch the canoe across by 4 pm. We hiked fast and kicked butt trying to get there but didn't make it in time. We are hoping to be first in line in the morning when the canoe arrives at 9. I'm proud of our attempt.



Day 171
We got up early and were first in line for the ferry across the Kennebec River. We shouldn't have worried though. The man was very efficient and had us loaded and across in about 10 minutes.



Our pace was much more leisurely today. I certainly was feeling a bit low on energy. I ate a few handfuls of blueberries on top of Pleasant Pond Mountain. There were so many! Two more days until we get picked up in Monson! I'm excited to have some resting time coming up.



Day 172
I forded a river today. Thankfully it was only knee deep and did not have a strong current. I was surprised that the mud had not washed off my legs after I reached the other side.

Much of the day the trail was very close to a river or a stream. Hearing running water is so relaxing and calming. I am happy I can hear the river from the shelter tonight. 



Day 173
I hiked the 9 miles into town thinking about the burger and fries I was planning to order the whole way.  When we arrived and discovered breakfast was still being served I decided on eggs, bacon, and french toast. How I have missed breakfast food! Of course I finished off my meal with a giant ice cream cone.


Marcia came to pick us up. It was wonderful to see her! She brought wash cloths so that we could clean up a bit before the ride. I felt much cleaner and was a bit disgusted by the amount of dirt I could see on the cloth. I must admit I still smelled terrible but Marcia was a good sport about it. She also brought us food!

It feels wonderful and strange to be home again. I already miss the fresh air when I'm in my room. My mom was happy to have us home. Because I haven't had cell service she was starting to wonder if we were okay. We ate Thai food for dinner and watched Wild. Normal life is feeling quite luxurious.


Day 174
I had my interview today. I think it went well but since it was for a seasonal position I don't think it will have enough hours. I will have to wait and see what happens with that. I felt so weird in professional clothing. It felt like a Halloween costume.

Chameleon and I enjoyed going to Freeport. We ate a disgusting amount of fast food for lunch, but it did satisfy our craving. We went to the art walk in the evening. There were so many people everywhere! It felt a little overwhelming to fight my way through the crowds on the sidewalks.



Day 175
Chameleon and I picked a date to summit Katahdin! We should be there on September 16th. The end is near, I can hardly believe it.

I went to visit my grandparents in the afternoon. They were happy to meet Chameleon after hearing about her in my blog. We sang a lot, with my mom on guitar and myself on ukulele.  




I went to a contra dance and realized just how happy I am with life. I hope that I will be able to be as happy after I finish the trail as I am now. I couldn't stop smiling and I didn't want to either!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you are doing well and near the end. Can't wait to see thousands of pictures and hear hundreds of stories someday!

    ReplyDelete