Saturday, January 17, 2015

Naming a Blog

The name for my blog was not random.  I spent some time trying to come up with something that was both fitting for my personality and for hiking the Appalachian Trail.  Many songs ran through my head as I thought about walking, traveling, mountains, boots, and more.  

I kept coming back to "You're Gonna Miss Me," a song I came across years ago performed by Lulu and the Lampshades.  The song was based on "When I'm Gone," written by A.P. Carter of The Carter Family.  Now it has become more popularly know as "Cups" since Anna Kendrick sang it in the movie "Pitch Perfect." 

This song holds many memories for me and has already traveled with me around the world.  I came across "You're Gonna Miss Me" on a snow day in Maine when I was searching for new songs and activities to teach my students in music class.  Later my students performed the song in their school concert.  Then, as a Peace Corps Volunteer, I taught the song to my senior class to perform at a welcoming ceremony for the incoming freshmen using coconut shells. 

So how did I develop the name for my blog?  One line from the lyrics says, "It's got mountains, it's got rivers, it's got sights that'll give you shivers," and that speaks to me of the Appalachian Trail.  

Here's a video of me singing the song.  The quality isn't the greatest but I hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment